Thursday, December 17, 2009

My son has nothing to wear!

Okay, so I'm involved with the Ann Arbor, MI chapter of the Society for Creative Anachronism, called the Barony of Cynnabar. It's the association from which I know my friends Aaron and Monique, mentioned in my previous post about how I'm making all these fancy-schmancy wedding clothes. Typically I sing, dance or play my flute so other people can dance. Anyway, at the next event we're having, called Wassail (it's the Cynnabar holiday party, more or less), I've been summoned to the Baronial Court, which means I'm called up in front of the Baron and Baronessa, who are kind of like our chapter presidents. Typically, a summons of this nature implies receipt of an award. Although I have confirmation that an award is forthcoming, I still have no idea what KIND of award it is. I don't feel particularly meritorious. Well, whatever.

Anyway, my husband and son (and possibly my sister-in-law!) will be joining me for this. While my husband has (somewhat unimpressive) garb to wear so he won't be in street-clothes, my 7-month-old son, Lucius (whose SCA name - I've just decided - will be his full Hebrew name: Lior Moshe ben Benjamin), has NOTHING! While he could be the talk of the town in a baby playgroup wearing his ballin' outfit from the Baby Gap (courtesy of his Auntie Bica, who is pretty ballin' herself), I feel kind of weird bringing a completely modernized baby into a portion of an anachronism that is conducted with such pomp when I will be fully outfitted as will my husband, more-or-less.

So, I have decided to make an outfit for Lior Moshe to wear to Baronial Court which happens on Saturday. That's right: I have a day and a half to get this crap together. (I work best under pressure. :p) So, I'm putting the wedding garb on hold in a mad attempt to get something appropriate for my "youngest retainer" to wear.

I will be making something along the lines of this, without the swaddling. Since Lucius is now 7 months old he resists swaddling with the fury of a thousand drenched cats. So, he'll have a lightweight undershirt, a heavier-weight overgown and an adorable little hat. I'll probably put him in some baby trousers that he already has, as he's got some that are brown and made of a sort of homespun-looking knit.

To start with, I had a full-size bedskirt from a Croscill bed-in-a-bag set that I gave away through Freecycle around this time last year. The part that goes under the bed is a lightweight white cotton. The skirt itself is a brownish-red (which used to be a much more vibrant burgundy) cotton velveteen. I have already ripped the skirt from the, uh... under-the-bed-thingy and am currently running everything through the wash machine, to exact the maximum amount of shrinkage before I do anything to it.

Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment